Welcome to Seduced by Produce

I get pleasure out of experimenting in my kitchen with food. I am helpless against the siren song of beautiful fruits, vegetables and herbs. I love going to local farms and farmer's markets, taking home my purchases, and then trying to figure out healthy and delicious ways to cook it all. That doesn't mean that I don't make unhealthy foods, but when I do, I try to make them worth the calories and time. I don't cook every day, but when I do, I want it to be delicious.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Penne with Arugula, Grape Tomatoes and Cannelini Beans

Last month's Pasta with-Sauteed Tomatoes and Arugula still fresh in my mind, and tomatoes still in season in Florida, means that this is a recipe that was begging for updates and remakes all season long.  This week, I used grape tomatoes left over from an impulse buy at Worden Farm stand at the St. Petersburg Morning Market last weekend and arugula from one of my favorite places, Hydro Harvest Farms.  This is a great Meatless Monday dish, but works for any night of the week. 

I did things just a little bit differently this time around.

Ingredients:

Water for Pasta
4 ounces of penne pasta

1/4 cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups arugula, stemmed and cleaned
Pint of grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 can cannellini beans, drained with 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup white wine
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Grated Pecorino Romano

Recipe:

Prep all ingredients according to the above specifications to have by the stove ready to go.  Put salted water on the stove set on high to boil for pasta.  Set a large pan on the stove as well.  In the large pan, heat the oil on medium high heat.  When shimmering, add the garlic until lightly tan. It's just not cooking in my house until you can see this:

Add the tomatoes and cook until tomatoes begin to soften and blister.


By this time, the water should be boiling so add the pasta to the water and turn down the heat to medium high.  Add salt, pepper, beans and white wine to the pan.  When the liquid reaches a boil, add the greens to the pan and cook until the greens wilt and the liquids reduce by half.




Drain your al dente pasta and add it with a 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water to the pan.  Cook the pasta with the mixture for about 5 minutes, or until the liquid has thickened.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Grate some pecorino romano cheese on top and serve.  


Yeah, I love living in Florida this time of year.  Tomatoes and 70 degree days in February is not a bad way to live. 


No comments:

Post a Comment