Welcome to Seduced by Produce

I get pleasure out of experimenting in my kitchen with food. I am helpless against the siren song of beautiful fruits, vegetables and herbs. I love going to local farms and farmer's markets, taking home my purchases, and then trying to figure out healthy and delicious ways to cook it all. That doesn't mean that I don't make unhealthy foods, but when I do, I try to make them worth the calories and time. I don't cook every day, but when I do, I want it to be delicious.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Anti-Valentine's Day Chocolate Cupcakes


This Valentine's Day weekend, a friend is throwing an Anti-Valentine's Day party.  Being the glutton for punishment, I asked that special question - "what can I bring?"  This is not the time for light and refreshing.  Somehow, from that question, I ended up making ironically iced Anti-Valentine's Day chocolate cupcakes.  This decision comes from three girls on a lunch break debating the virtues of Anti-Valentine's garlic breath versus overly rich "why bother" foods.   Dessert is what my hubby calls a "no-brainer" and an "easy out" for invitations.  An hour later, and I can have made from scratch chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting ready for any event.  Besides, who can really turn down a chocolate cupcake? Especially this one!  This recipe comes from a blog, I follow called the Joy of Baking


 If you are easily offended, I put the more off color labeled ones towards the bottom and after a marker. 

Chocolate Cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter, or line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.

In a bowl, add the cocoa powder to the boiling water and stir until smooth. Set aside and let the mixture cool to room temperature. 


In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Then in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy - about two minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. 


Add the flour mixture and beat only until incorporated. Then add the cooled cocoa mixture and stir until smooth.

Fill each muffin cup about two-thirds full with batter.


Bake for about 16-20 minutes or until risen, springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.  Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. 



Chocolate Frosting:
Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. 


Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. 

In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy. Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy.  This should take about 2 -3 minutes.

The Final Product:
Once the cupcakes have completely cooled, frost with icing. You can either spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a small spatula, or like me, you can use the back of a spoon. If you are decorating, now is the time. 

Makes about 16 cupcakes.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 cup boiling hot water
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Chocolate Fudge Frosting:
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/3 cups confectioner sugar, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Oh by the way, these are good. Really good.  Like, stealing a crumb and ending up eating the whole cupcake good.  



3 comments:

  1. Yum. I just at one a few minutes ago.. the frosting is so yummy on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! These valentine days chocolate cupcakes look so delicious. Want to have them for my tea party that will be arranged at one of Los Angeles venues. Thanks for sharing the recipe here. Would love to bake cupcakes for my invitees.

    ReplyDelete