Welcome to Seduced by Produce

I get pleasure out of experimenting in my kitchen with food. I am helpless against the siren song of beautiful fruits, vegetables and herbs. I love going to local farms and farmer's markets, taking home my purchases, and then trying to figure out healthy and delicious ways to cook it all. That doesn't mean that I don't make unhealthy foods, but when I do, I try to make them worth the calories and time. I don't cook every day, but when I do, I want it to be delicious.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Mahi Mahi and Tomatoes with a Lemon, Garlic, and Oregano Sauce

Everyone needs a meal in their back pocket that looks fancy, and tastes like you cooked all day, without really needing you to do so.  Everyone needs a recipe that will impress without really trying.  Everyone needs this recipe!


It may not look like much, but we've eaten it twice in a week!  Simply put, it's fish covered in tomatoes, and baked with a lemon, garlic and oregano sauce.  But it is just so much more than that.  It's fresh and light and a meal that you can for cheap that you make out of foods that your market may just have year round. 

First, mince your garlic and then slice your tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. 


Don't mind the bok choy in the back of this picture, you'll see it in another recipe soon!  Back to the fish.

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Pat the fish fillets completely dry with a paper towel and season them on both sides with the salt and a few "grindings" of pepper.  Juice enough fresh lemons to make a 1/2 cup of lemon juice - about 1 1/2 lemons.  Combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and 1/2 teaspoon of oregano in a small bowl.  Stir lemon juice mixture until the ingredients are well blended. Then add the fillets to a small casserole dish, pour the lemon juice mixture over the fish fillets and turn them over to ensure that the mixture has a chance to cover both sides evenly.


Place the tomato slices over them and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of oregano on top.
Bake in middle of oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until fillets flake easily when pressed gently with a fork. Serve the fillets at once directly from the baking dish. 

This is best served with something that will soak up the delicious sauce.  My father is convinced that my body is about three fourths pasta, my choice is pretty obviously gonna be pasta, but you can go ahead and use rice or another grain if you feel so inclined.  We found Brussels Sprouts on sale and decided that they would be a great vegetable and steamed them.


Ingredients:
4 mild and firm fleshed fish fillets - we used Mahi Mahi
1 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cups fresh lemon juice, strained
2 tbsp. olive oil
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. dry oregano, crumbled
2 med. sized firm, ripe tomatoes, washed, cored & cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices

Verdict - I wasn't kidding when I said we've had this twice in one week.  The first was on Valentine's Day, if that gives you an idea of just how much we enjoyed this meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment