Welcome to Seduced by Produce

I get pleasure out of experimenting in my kitchen with food. I am helpless against the siren song of beautiful fruits, vegetables and herbs. I love going to local farms and farmer's markets, taking home my purchases, and then trying to figure out healthy and delicious ways to cook it all. That doesn't mean that I don't make unhealthy foods, but when I do, I try to make them worth the calories and time. I don't cook every day, but when I do, I want it to be delicious.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

German Chocolate Cake

This recipe is another anti-produce recipe, but it's worth it. For my husband's birthday, all he wanted me to make was a German Chocolate Cake.  Before this, I'd never baked a cake from scratch and could probably count the boxed cakes I've made on one hand, so this was no small request.  I didn't even have a real cake pan - just glass casseroles and a hidden pie dish I never knew I had! 


 
 After contemplating the merits of many different recipes, I finally determined that for my first cake should be a tried and true recipe.  Baker's German's Chocolate to the rescue!  For a week night dessert, I could try a more adventurous approach, but not for a birthday and especially not for a birthday party.   Food history lesson - German Chocolate Cake is not a German recipe but is in fact related to the name of the chocolate company's owner.  German's Chocolate was later bought out by Baker's Brand who was later bought out by Kraft Foods. 
 
Due to  my lack of backing up the images, I can not share the in-process pictures I took, but hopefully the beautiful photo above of the final product will inspire you to make one of your own and see it first hand. 
 
Cake Recipe:
1 pkg. (4 oz.) Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup  water
4 eggs, separated
2 cups  flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp.  salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups  sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup  buttermilk 
 
Filling Recipe:
1 can  (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups  sugar
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 package  (7 oz.) Sweetened Coconut (about 2-2/3 cups)
1 1/2 cups Chopped Pecans
4 egg yolks  
To Make the Cake:

Heat oven to 350°F.  Cover bottoms of 3 (9-inch) round pans with waxed paper; spray sides with cooking spray. Microwave chocolate and water in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 min. or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.

Beat egg whites in small bowl or with a stand mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside. Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl of your stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.

Add egg whites; stir gently until well blended. Pour into prepared pans.

Bake 30 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Immediately run small spatula around cakes in pans. Cool cakes in pans 15 min.; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.

To Make the Filling:

 
Beat egg yolks, milk and vanilla in large saucepan with wire whisk until well blended. Add sugar and butter; cook on medium heat 12 min. or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
Add coconut and pecans; mix well. Cool to room temperature and of desired spreading consistency.

To Assemble the Final Product and Achieve Bliss:

Spread Coconut-Pecan Filling and Frosting between cake layers and onto top of cake.

Verdict:  The waxed paper really does aid in the release of the cakes from the pans.  The cake was so good that several male friends of myself and my husband offered to take me in and/or marry me if my husband was ever foolish enough to let me go.  I even got an offer to build me the kitchen of my dreams - and I may take that friend up on that offer but only after hubby and I are ready to buy a house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment