Welcome to Seduced by Produce

I get pleasure out of experimenting in my kitchen with food. I am helpless against the siren song of beautiful fruits, vegetables and herbs. I love going to local farms and farmer's markets, taking home my purchases, and then trying to figure out healthy and delicious ways to cook it all. That doesn't mean that I don't make unhealthy foods, but when I do, I try to make them worth the calories and time. I don't cook every day, but when I do, I want it to be delicious.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Cottage Cheese Dill Rolls

I go to a hydroponic u-pick farm, Hydro Harvest Farms, about once a month.  At the farm today, they were practically giving away their dill! It's all grown on a tower using a hydroponic drip method and is pesticide free.  The recent freezes didn't seem to do much to affect the HUGE growth coming off of the dill tower.  Here's a family favorite using the dill in a way that will show it off without going over the top.  Try the rolls toasted as part of a tuna sandwich! 

For a 2 lb loaf or approximately one dozen rolls:

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 large shallot

1 1/3 cups cottage cheese - I used Nancy's brand from a local health food store
1/3 cup milk - I used almond milk here
1 large egg plus one egg yolk

3 1/3 cups bread flour - My preferred brand is King Arthur Flour's Organic Flours
2 tablespoons vegan cane sugar
1/4 cup fresh dill - packed
1 1/4 teaspoon salt

2 3/4 teaspoons bread machine yeast



1 egg with one teaspoon water, whisked until frothy

Saute the shallot in olive oil until translucent, then set aside to cool down.

Place all ingredients in the bread machine according to your bread machine. If it's like mine, add everything but the flour and yeast, then flour, then yeast on the top.

I don't bake in my bread machine, instead just using it to knead and think for me. When I bake in it, I eat the whole loaf so here's my way to portion control. When the dough is done kneading, I make it into rolls and bake in the oven with an egg wash brushed over the top. If baking as a loaf: 1) cool before slicing, 2) plan to eat the same day as it's just that good and 3) it'll go stale quickly so see item 2.

One Lonely Roll - I always try one as "tester"
The finished product - cooling on it's parchment paper and a cookie sheet.

1 comment:

  1. Man, using these rolls for Tuna Sandwiches sounds excellent... When you said that it made total sense, even tho I'm only imagining how the rolls might taste...
    And just imagining, I gained 3/4 of a pound!
    I cook all the time, but baking intimidates me for some reason...

    Congratulations and great job on the blog!

    I'm needing to eat a LOT more vegetables over the next bunch of months so keep the enthusiasm & ideas comin'!

    ReplyDelete