Welcome to Seduced by Produce

I get pleasure out of experimenting in my kitchen with food. I am helpless against the siren song of beautiful fruits, vegetables and herbs. I love going to local farms and farmer's markets, taking home my purchases, and then trying to figure out healthy and delicious ways to cook it all. That doesn't mean that I don't make unhealthy foods, but when I do, I try to make them worth the calories and time. I don't cook every day, but when I do, I want it to be delicious.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Chicken "Burgers"

Recently, I've been playing with my new cast iron grill pan, and the house favorite to play with is burgers.  In keeping with the New Year/New You idea, I went with chicken "burgers" for dinner tonight. I say burger in quotation marks because I just can't write chicken and burger together without them.  If I did, I'd end up feeling that I was somehow not be honest with you.  Burger = beef  and "burger" = any other patty in my book.

Tempted by the Brew (I haven't decided on a blog nickname for my husband yet, but since his hobby is brewing beer, he suggested this one) made the meal while I was busy getting caught up in my work.  While shopping on Sunday, we decided to use some sliced "gourmet" mushrooms hidden away in the produce section of Whole Foods that called my name from the forgotten corner and now sitting in my refrigerator mocking me.  To add on the delicious produce and pretend a "burger" can ever be healthy, we added the arugula picked up this weekend from the farm, and a red onion to make a great "burger".  Ok, I lied.  He had the onion.  I can't, or at least shouldn't, eat raw onions due to a diagnosis with acid reflex that I remember when it suits me.

While I was busy forgetting what time it was due to good news in the world of social work,Tempted by the Brew got busy cooking.  This is what I came home to tonight:


The Murray's Chicken "Burgers" I found on sale at Publix were sizzling away on the cast iron grill pan and all it took for the mushrooms to be added to the stove top was a gentle reminder by way of me taking it out of the refrigerator and putting it out on the counter.  Subtle, right?  Let's just say mushrooms are notTempted by the Brew's favorite addition to our meals and they make it in very often anyway.  I just can't get enough of them!

This is the part of the night when the greens argument rages again.  Our home is at a stalemate - I like mine at least wilted unless the greens are part of a salad.  He likes them raw.  He's right health-wise and texture-wise, but I know what I like and my tastebuds just don't want to hear it.  I lost this battle tonight and had my burger with raw arugula.

But......It didn't matter!  This burger looked so good that I just had to dig in, even before I remembered to take a photo.


Recipe:

4 Murray's Chicken "Burgers"
4 Cottage Cheese Dill Rolls from earlier in the week, sliced in half
1 Package of Mixed Sliced Gourmet Mushrooms - a mix of oyster, cremini and another mushroom that I have already forgotten
1 garlic clove, sliced
About 20 medium sized arugula leaves - thicker stems removed
*Red Onion
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Serves 4 - 1 burger per person

Heat grill pan and small saute pan on medium heat. While these are heating up, slice up the garlic clove and onion and prep the arugula. I went with the idea of about five leaves per burger.  Grill chicken for about 3 -5 minutes per side.  Chicken is not ok undercooked in our house, so we err on the side of caution here.  At the same time, you should also begin to saute the garlic and a minute later, add the mushrooms to the garlic and oil.  Tempted by the Brew did this a little later, after the mushrooms mysteriously ended up on the counter by the fridge. When the "burger" is seared well on one side and easily separates from the pan, flip it for another 3-5 minutes.  At some point, check the mushrooms to make sure they are cooking evenly in the pan.  Stir them occasionally while you are at it.  When the chicken is cooked throughout, set them to the rest and reabsorb all the meat-juices (it's chicken, so that's not much).  While this is happening, we grilled the rolls in the grill pan until they developed some nice grill markings. It was about this time that the mushrooms looked done and were taken off the heat.

Now comes the best part - putting it all together. I won't tell you how to do that.  If you are making this, it is your unalienable right to put together your "burger" however you see fit.  If you see a chicken "burger" fit at all, that is.  If this recipe is making you say, "Where's the Beef" a la old school Wendy's commercials - then by all means, go for beef!

*This is where my wonderful sense of measurement fails my blog responsibility.  We just did two slices since Tempted by the Brew was the only one eating it, but the slices were probably equal to 1/4 of a medium sized onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment