Welcome to Seduced by Produce

I get pleasure out of experimenting in my kitchen with food. I am helpless against the siren song of beautiful fruits, vegetables and herbs. I love going to local farms and farmer's markets, taking home my purchases, and then trying to figure out healthy and delicious ways to cook it all. That doesn't mean that I don't make unhealthy foods, but when I do, I try to make them worth the calories and time. I don't cook every day, but when I do, I want it to be delicious.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pasta with Roasted Broccoli

Finding organic broccoli at the Farmer's Market this weekend meant I could finally make the Pasta with Roasted Broccoli I saw on a "Healthy Cooking" website a while back.  I figured that since it was so simple, it must be good.  I mean really, when you have something this good, how can it go wrong.



Yeah, I was wrong.  As my dear husband so nicely put it, this was an EPIC FAIL.  But it has promise, and will be made again.  Pasta with Roasted Broccoli will not beat me, and it will not beat you. Follow these directions, and you will hopefully do just fine....

The Recipe I Should Have Followed:
  • 8 oz whole wheat pasta
  • 1 1/2 lbs broccoli florets and stems
  • 8 cloves garlic, sliced
  • 6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, or more
  • Salt and Pepper 
  • 1/2 cup fresh grated Pecorino Romano 
Preheat oven to 450°.  While your oven is pre-heating, chop the broccoli into florets and trim the stems of their woody outer stem and cut into bit size pieces.  Grate the cheese into a small dish and reserve.  In a baking dish, combine the broccoli, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Roast broccoli about 20 minutes, tossing half way, until broccoli is browned and tender.


(Edit:  I did not follow this recipe, and added far too little olive oil making this very dry pasta with some decent tasting broccoli.)


Meanwhile, boil salted water in a large pot. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. In my case, I was using up some whole wheat pasta that I made a few months ago.  Before draining, reserve 1 cup of the water from the pasta.




Drain and toss pasta with broccoli. Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water (or more if necessary), Pecorino Romano, salt and pepper to taste.



Cook pasta mixture to allow flavors of the sauce to cook into the pasta.  Serve with additional grated cheese.

1 comment: