Welcome to Seduced by Produce

I get pleasure out of experimenting in my kitchen with food. I am helpless against the siren song of beautiful fruits, vegetables and herbs. I love going to local farms and farmer's markets, taking home my purchases, and then trying to figure out healthy and delicious ways to cook it all. That doesn't mean that I don't make unhealthy foods, but when I do, I try to make them worth the calories and time. I don't cook every day, but when I do, I want it to be delicious.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Cabbage Salad

Chag Pesach Sameach/Happy Passover!   After two Sederim, plural for Seder (the ordered meal where we retell the story of the Exodus), I was craving something light and crunchy.  I can only eat so much matzo, meat and starch!  We just got home from celebrating the beginning of this beautiful holiday with relatives in South Florida, and the first thing I did after unpacking was crack open my Nanny's cookbooks for ideas on what to make for the rest of the holiday.   This recipe, with a bit of tweaking, was something I could make easily out of things I already had in the house.  During the seder, "we ask why do we eat bitter herbs?"  Well, after eight days your body will begin screaming "enough matzo already" and will be craving an abundance of herbs to help the matzo along and out!  Why wait?  This recipe reminds me of something I used to have when I was a kid and my family went out for "deli"and is a perfect accompaniment to a meat or dairy meal. 


 This salad, with the assistance of the food processor passed down to me by my wonderful mother-in-law, only took ten minutes from start to finish and made enough that I will have enough for every day left of this wonderful holiday.

Using the grater blade of the food processor, or on the coarse side of a box grater, grate one cored head of green cabbage, three medium sized carrots, one medium onion and two cucumbers.  Put all of these grated vegetables into a large non-reactive bowl - preferably glass if you have it. Then, blend the ginger, sugar, salt, white vinegar and and cold water until the ginger and sugar disappears into the liquid. 

Add this salad dressing to the bowl and mix well.  Let stand for one hour for optimum deliciousness! 


Ingredients:

Salad -
1 head green cabbage, cored
3 medium sized carrots
1 medium sized white onion
2 cucumbers

Dressing -
1 cup cold water
1 cup white vinegar
3 tablespoons vegan cane sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 inch piece of peeled ginger

This makes a party sized amount!  

No comments:

Post a Comment